Ordinances and Zoning
Applications, Permits & Fee's
All permit applications can be paid for in U.S. Cash, Check, or Credit/Debit at Village Hall. Permits can be paid for by phone using Credit/Debit. A fee will accompany all Credit/Debit transactions.
The necessary permits must be approved by Village Staff or Village Council before any construction may begin.
Pre-Application Meetings and Conceptual Review
The Village of Mackinaw City Community Development and Zoning Department welcomes those seeking to better utilize their property for residential or commercial growth. To maximize transparency and streamline the development approval process, applicants are encouraged to contact or meet with the Zoning Administrator during project conceptualization.
Before the Pre-Application Meeting / Conceptual Review:
- Know the address, current use, location of structures, and dimensions of existing structures.
- Consider the expected use of, location of, and dimensions of the proposed development.
- Locate your site on the Zoning Map, review district regulations in the Zoning Ordinance, and read the Guide to Development. Zoning districts can be reviewed during the pre-application meeting, but knowing this information before the meeting can expediate the process and benefit your conceptual plans.
- Draft a conceptual plan. The conceptual plan can be a sketch, drawing, informal plans, or the first draft of a professional plot or site plan.
The Pre-Application Meeting / Conceptual Review will go over:
- Development proposal's compliance with the zoned uses.
- Development proposal's compliance with zoning standards.
- Elements to include in the official plot or site plans.
- The development review and approval process, including expected timeframe of approval, approving authority, and other necessary permits, such as a Special Land Use Permit or Land Division Application.
- Potential incentives for development.
Pre-application meetings and conceptual reviews are more productive and accurate when the developer provides more information. Advice given during the pre-application meeting does not guarantee future zoning permit or site plan approval, and conceptual plans lacking information or displaying incorrect details can impact the plan's zoning compliance.
Community Development & Zoning Administration
The Community Development Department is responsible for questions regarding:
- Commercial and residential development
- Zoning issues
- Special use permits
- Subdivision of property
- Site Plan Review
- Village's Community Development Plan
- Assist residents in obtaining zoning permits for new construction, additions, remodeling and demolition
- Review building plans as they relate to Zoning
- Issue sign and occupancy permits.
- Enforcing the Village’s Zoning, Sign, and Blight Ordinance
- Conducting zoning site inspections
- Provide Planning Commission with information needed to take action on activities and to formulate planning and zoning policy recommendations to the Village Council
- Maintaining Planning Commission records, Site Plans, Special Use Permits, Planned Unit Development Plans, Variances and Rezoning requests
- Participating in the development and implementation of short and long term plans related to capital improvements, economic development, land use planning, parks planning, and the Master Planning